Human Resources Advisor
Human Resources Advisor
Position No. 904
Permanent full time
Band 6 $82,055 - $89,315 per annum plus 9.5% statutory superannuation
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented Human Resources Advisor to help us create a great people experience for the team at Wellington Shire Council.
Based at our head office in Sale, you’ll join our dynamic People and Capability team to work alongside business leaders and provide high quality and timely people-related advice to ensure best practice people management is maintained throughout the employee life cycle.
We are looking for a team player, someone who takes initiative and proactively seeks out opportunities to deliver exceptional service as this role will play a pivotal part in building a strong HR partnership with key stakeholders. Your compassion and empathetic nature balanced with your resilience and business acumen will have seen you demonstrate strong capability as an approachable and customer focused HR leader. In return, you will gain a wealth of experience in a dynamic, full-function and supportive People and Capability team.
There will be a myriad of workplace support responsibilities and cases at any given time, so your ability to multitask unique, sensitive and complex workplace issues will enable you to be effective in meeting desired outcomes.
Reporting to the Coordinator Human Resources, the HR Advisor will support the organisation by providing true generalist support. Working closely with key stakeholders to coach and advise on situations in accordance with applicable awards, company policies, procedures and some employee relation matters. This role will be crucial in proactively driving process improvements across the organisation.
Our Human Resources Advisor will:
- Provide expert advice and human resource services for organisational leaders in relation to performance management, disciplinary processes, disputes, and grievances.
- Work independently to investigate and appropriately address employment relations matters in consultation with other HR team members.
- Provide interpretation of employment conditions from the EA, Award and other relevant legislation.
- Assist in the development and review of human resource policies to ensure Council’s human resource practice remains contemporary and leading edge.
- Assist with human resource programs to ensure they meet organisational objectives.
- Provide coaching and advice to leaders on a variety of people issues related to company policies and procedures.
- Provide first level support to all council employees.
- Contributing to the creation and implementation of HR projects, company policies and procedures.
- Preparing and providing analysis on regular and ad hoc reports for the Coordinator Human Resources and wider business meeting expected timeframes.
- Champion Council’s employee engagement initiative including surveys and administration of our engagement portal.
- Actively participate and develop your own HR capabilities through existing and new People & Capability projects.
What we’re looking for:
In our People and Capability team, you can help us to create a great people experience for the team at Wellington Shire Council.
To do this, we need someone who has:
- Tertiary qualifications in Human Resources.
- At least 2 years' experience in an HR operational role with proven business partnering skills.
- Experience in working with key stakeholders to provide advice and discuss sensitive issues.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships at all levels of the business.
- Impeccable organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise own workload and deliver to tight deadlines.
But we don’t just look for someone based on their skills and expertise. We need someone who is going to fit in with the team and company culture. That means you also need to be:
- Savvy minded and have the ability to think outside the box.
- Friendly, approachable and have good relationship management skills.
- An avid supporter of our fully inclusive culture - we celebrate difference and ensure that everyone belongs.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate how they meet the key selection criteria below:
- High level of effective interpersonal, communication and influencing skills.
- Extensive experience, knowledge and understanding of Human Resources issues and policies.
- Human Resource Generalist knowledge and applied practices.
- Ability to work autonomously in a complex and changing work environment.
- Aptitude for working collaboratively, building, and managing stakeholder relationships.
Here at Wellington Shire Council, we have a strong commitment to create a workplace culture that is collaborative, provides work-life flexibility and encourages opportunities for growth and development. We take pride in providing a supportive workplace with great career opportunities for our employees.
Every person at Wellington Shire Council brings their own unique experiences, perspectives and talents to help contribute to our vision of “Happy people, healthy environment and thriving communities in the heart of Gippsland.” As one of the largest employers in the region we have a diverse workforce of more than 500 staff who are based throughout the municipality, and we all work together as a team to make a positive impact in our community.
We use award-winning technologies to seek and implement innovative improvements across the organisation. We work hard to position ourselves as a leader in local government, continuously improving our diverse range of services for the betterment of our community.
We offer a rewarding culture of innovation, flexibility and continued learning in a collaborative, supportive environment.
Wellington Shire Council is committed to upholding the Child Safe Standards and associated legislative requirements.
Wellington Shire Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to encourage applications from people of different backgrounds, abilities, ages, genders and/or sexual orientations and gender identities.
Wellington Shire Council takes climate change and sustainability seriously and is looking to respond proactively and positively to the challenges ahead.
Wellington Shire Council is located in the Gippsland region of the state of Victoria, Australia and is approximately two hours east of Melbourne by road or rail. Many of us dream of a simpler lifestyle, with wide open spaces and no traffic jams. In The Middle of Everywhere, we live that enviable lifestyle every day.
In Wellington Shire you will find a wide range of beautiful environments to explore, with our pristine beaches, picturesque mountain ranges, temperate rainforests, wetlands and plenty of diverse, contrasting spaces to take your breath away. Whether it’s a stroll along the iconic Ninety Mile Beach, a canoe down the Mitchell River or a bush walk through the Alpine National Park, there’s plenty to keep you busy in The Middle of Everywhere. Home to a range of tight-knit communities such as Sale, Maffra, Stratford and Yarram, you’ll quickly find yourself right at home with the wonderful people that make these towns so special. From our lively restaurant and café culture to the very best in local produce, you’ll never be short of Sunday brunch ideas and places to try! Visit https://themiddleofeverywhere.com.au/ to find out why the Wellington Shire is a great place to live and work.
How to Apply:
This is an excellent opportunity to take the next step in your career and make a tangible impact on our local community. If what you have read resonates with your values, experience and career aspirations then we want to hear from you. For more information about this role please contact Coordinator Human Resources Erin O’Neill via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must address the Key Selection Criteria as outlined in this advertisement and will be accepted no later than 5.00pm Sunday 25 April 2021.
A Position Description can be obtained from this link.