Secondary School Work Experience Program
The Wellington Shire Council Secondary School Work Experience Program provides students with an opportunity to gain insight into the local government work environment.
The Secondary School Work Experience Program is offered to Secondary School students undertaking years 9 to 12. Students participating in the program are given the opportunity to spend up to two weeks within selected business units to observe the daily activities of those areas.
Areas of Wellington Shire Council offering Work Experience program include:
- Arts and Culture – Art Technician and Entertainment Centre Management.
- Leisure Services– Fitness Instructing, Lifeguard, Personal Training and Customer Service.
- Business – Finance, Business Improvement, Human Resources, Accounting, Economic Development, Records Management and Information Technology.
- Municipal Services – Local Laws, Environmental Health, Building Services and Customer Service.
- Environment and Parks – Horticulture, Sustainability, Natural Resource Planning and Arborist.
- Community Wellbeing – Social Policy and Planning, Positive Ageing, Community Planning and Engagement, Early Years Service Planning, Community Facilities Planning, Community Committees Support, Access and Inclusion for people living with disabilities, Community Health and Wellbeing, Road Safety, Community Grants, Youth Service and Program Planning.
- Roads and Construction – General Operator, Mechanic and Plant Operator.
Dates for Work Experience intake - Applicants need to apply within the following dates:
- 5 March – 13 April 2018: to be undertaken between 23 April – 30 June 2018
- 4 June – 29 June 2018: to be undertaken between 23 July – 3 December 2018
Conditions of Work Experience:
- Placements are only available to students from approved secondary educational institutions.
- Personal injury insurance for the student must be covered by the relevant education institution or program provider.
- Information obtained whilst undertaking work experience is deemed confidential and must not be divulged to any other party.
- Priority will be granted to those that have provided the relevant information requested by Council.
- Priority will also be given to students who attend a school or live with the Wellington Shire area.
- Wellington Shire Council is committed to providing an opportunity for students to participate in the work experience program; however, we cannot accept every student that applies.
- Generally if you have already completed work experience at Wellington Shire Council, additional placements will not be available.
How to request a work experience placement at Wellington Shire Council:
- Apply for the Secondary School Work Experience job during the intake period.
- Attach your resume and any introductory letters from yourself or your school/education provider and proof of Personal Injury Insurance.
- You will receive an automatically generated confirmation email shortly after submitting the Work Experience Request form.
- A member of our Human Resources team will contact you to discuss your placement and the Shire’s availability to offer a placement that meets your requirements.
For information on our Vocational Placement Program (tertiary students) please refer to the Employment Opportunities tab.